If you’re like most people, you probably don’t think about your hair care routine until there’s a problem. And by then, it may be too late to do anything but treat the symptoms. But what if you could adopt a more sustainable hair care routine that would help keep your hair healthy and strong all year round? Here are a few tips to get you started.
Tips for environment-friendly hair care routine
- Avoid heat styling whenever possible.
Heat styling (blow drying, straightening, curling) can damage your hair over time. If you must use heat, make sure to use a heat protectant spray beforehand. Also, try to air dry your hair as much as possible and give your hair a break from heat styling now and then.
- Trim your ends regularly.
Split ends can cause damage to your hair and make it look unhealthy. Get your ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks to keep your hair looking its best.
- Use a natural bristle brush.
Instead, synthetic bristles can damage your hair, so opt for a brush with natural bristles. Natural bristles are gentler on your hair and won’t cause as much static.
- Invest in a quality hair mask.
Hair masks are a great way to nourish and condition your hair. Look for one suited for your specific hair type (oily, dry, etc.). Use it once or twice a week for best results.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals.
Harsh chemicals can damage your hair and scalp. Opt for natural alternatives whenever possible.
- Limit your use of hair products.
Too much of anything is never a good thing, including hair products. Use them sparingly and only when necessary.
- Be mindful of the water temperature when washing your hair.
Hot water can strip away natural oils, leaving your hair dry and damaged. Use lukewarm or cold water instead to avoid this.
- Protect your hair from the sun.
Just like your skin, your hair can be damaged by too much sun exposure. So wear a hat or scarf when you’re going to be in the sun for extended periods.
Earth-friendly hair care routines
There are a number of things you can do to make your hair care routine more earth-friendly. Here are a few tips:
- Choose sulfate-free and paraben-free shampoo and conditioner. These products are less likely to pollute the water supply when you wash them down the drain.
- Try to avoid heat styling as much as possible. However, if you must use heat, use low settings and protect your hair with a good heat protectant product.
- Let your hair air dry whenever possible. This will help to keep it healthy and free from damage caused by heat styling.
- Use natural products such as coconut oil or avocado oil for deep conditioning treatments. These oils are environmentally friendly and good for your hair!